Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Turnitinbot exploits webserver vulnerabilities?

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:36:34 -0400

Doing a little digging, I saw this as the whois information for
turnitin.com:

Registrant:
iParadigms Inc. (TURNITIN-DOM)
   1624 Franklin St., Suite 818
   Oakland, CA 94612
   US

   Domain Name: TURNITIN.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Barrie, John  (JB14996)  jbarrie () IPARADIGMS COM
      iParadigms
      1624 Franklin St. Suite 818
      Oakland, CA 94612
      US
      (510) 287-9727

   Technical Contact:
      Briand, Emmanuel  (EB4361)  ebriand () IPARADIGMS COM
      iParadigms, Inc.
      1624 FRANKLIN ST STE 818
      OAKLAND, CA 94612-2823
      US
      510-287-9729

   Record expires on 25-Jun-2008.
   Record created on 25-Jun-1999.
   Database last updated on 20-May-2004 19:17:51 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.IPARADIGMS.COM           64.140.48.2
   NS2.IPARADIGMS.COM           64.140.48.3

Looking at iParadigm's website, the following text describes them:

"iParadigms is a pioneer in the rapidly expanding field of digital
information tracking. The Internet, though an invaluable resource for
services and information, is unfortunately also an unparalleled environment
for all varieties of intellectual property theft. We have developed a suite
of advanced tracking tools to combat the piracy of intellectual property and
ensure the originality of written work. These tools have already been
adopted and successfully implemented for thousands of institutional clients
all over the world."

While I doubt that there are actually thousands of clients, it does seem
that this is more than just some kind of a front for a black hat effort.
Googling "iParadigm" shows turnitin.com as being used by California State
University, among others; a budgeting document of some sort for the purchase
is among the top hits.

So I can only think of another possibility.  How do you know, aside from the
copious references within the logs themselves, that it actually was one of
turnitin.com's servers that did it?  Did you do a reverse lookup on the
offending host's IP?  What's the IP block allocation?  I'm as curious as you
are at this point.