Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Odd addresses on my wireless network

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:11:29 -0800

you can even do this on windows:

      http://developer.apple.com/macosx/rendezvous/index.html

  Admittedly, it has been a little while since I tracked down the
documentation on Rendezvous.  But when I did, it was being described
as

  an EXPERIMENTAL protocol for SMALL networks WITH NO DNS SERVER

Emphasis mine.

  I help run a multicampus network of about 6000 nodes, with a very
healthy set of DNS servers thank you very much.  It's annoying, to
say the least, when clueless users start spewing multicast all over
it because Apple said it was okay to do that, and I'm extremely
disappointed by the implication that the IETF is blessing this.

David Gillett