Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 7000 (Apple File Share) DoS/DDoS underway

From: Jonathan Nichols <jnichols () pbp net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:18:02 -0700

David Gillett wrote:

  A handful of machines, nowhere near me (network prefixes
218, 211, and 61) seem to be sending a mix of SYN-ACK and
RST packets, all with a source port of 7000, to assorted
(random) addresses in my public Class B range.

  I expect this means that someone is spoofing random source
addresses -- many of them in my range, but who knows how many
in others... -- and ports and SYN-flooding those half-dozen
machines.

  So far, reverse DNS and traceroute haven't helped me identify
the victims.

Apple File Protocol is actually port 548, not port 7000.

If I recall correctly, afs3 is a NFS like file system by IBM.. but it's not by Apple. :)

-Jonathan