Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: What to do if they ignore you

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:46:45 -0700

  Several people have assumed that these "probes" are not "attacks".
I see nothing in your description to warrant this assumption; the
persistence and the fact that the traffic seems to be local to a
particular /16 sounds to me very like one of the worms that spreads
via CIFS (with weak/missing passwords).

  I do, however, concur that there is very little you can do about
a network block whose admins ignore legitimate complaints, except
attempt to escalate to their upstream provider.  There's a chance
that this is also your customers' upstream provider, and that they
can be motivated to avoid a recommendation that those customers take
their business elsewhere....
  Oh, and generally networks shouldn't accept 445/CIFS traffic from
the Internet -- block it and move along.

David Gillett