Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird ARP Replies, maybe exploit?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 13:56:05 -0400

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:45:11 +0200, "Marksteiner, Stefan" said:

Although there seem (regarding to a sniffer-session via a mirror port)
to be no ARP-Requests at all, several thousand Replies a day go from the
MAC and IP (in both the Frame Header and Payload) of an Enterasys
Vertical Horizon Switch Stack (which I'm almost sure it's not the true
sender) to a Broadcast IP and MAC (also header & payload).

Of course our IDS fires alarms all the time because a ARP-Reply to a
Broadcast normally shouldn't occur.

This can happen if the offending machine has a busticated netmask - if
you're on 192.168.10.0/24 (for example), and one box has its netmask
set for /23, it will think the broadcast addr is 192.168.11.255 rather
than 192.168.10.255 - and it will try to reply to the not-seen-as-broadcast
packets.

The most interesting thing is that there seem to be HTTP-Requests in the
Padding (of course this really confuses me) of each frame.

This may just be old gear that has an information leakage issue - some older
network drivers failed to zero trailing space on short packets. See:

http://www.atstake.com/research/advisories/2003/a010603-1.txt

If it looks like the problem is something else, feel free to speak up.. ;)