Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Digital forensics of the physical memory

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:51:48 -0700 (PDT)

George and Ben,

The original author does at one point use the term
"image" to describe his
evidence collection process.  I think that use of
this term was unfortunate
because it invites comparison with classical
approaches to evidence
gathering and standards.  It is not possible to
"image" a reality that is constantly changing.

Could you suggest a suitable term to use?

A "smear," on the other hand,
is a pejorative term
which assumes that a changing reality cannot
therefore be measured accurately.

Perhaps you're correct about the use of the term
"smear"...but how would you go about accurately
measuring the changes that occur during the use of
dd.exe?

[snip]

One of the things that concern me is that we have an
emerging practice
within the forensic and law enforcement community
without any real
reflection on its theoretical or hermeneutic
underpinnings.  The absence of
free and open public reflection and debate on this
matter is a serious
obstacle to computer forensic aspirations of
becoming a scientific discipline.

Agreed.  However, what would suggest as a remedy to
the situation?

Conventional forensic doctrine places heavy emphasis
on not altering
evidence during the acquisition process.  But it
does not explain the
relationship between this principle and the notion
of evidentiary
reliability as this is understood in forensic
science.  Aiken and Taroni
define reliability in the following manner:

"Reliability is the probability of observing strong
misleading evidence.
This is related to the amount of evidence one has.
If one wishes to improve
the reliability of one's evidence then the amount
collected has to be
increased.  This is intuitively reasonable."  Colin
Aitken and Franco
Taroni, Statistics and the Evaluation of Evidence
for Forensic Scientists.
Second Edition (Chichester 2004), 198.

Reliable evidence is evidence for which the
probability of observing strong
misleading evidence is kept below a certain
tolerable level.  We do not
approach this question in the abstract.  Rather, we
must compare the
probability of observing strong misleading evidence
with physical memory to
the probability without this analysis.  Increasingly
the scale seems to be
tipping in favor of considering this so-called "new"
evidence.

How would you suggest that we go about this
comparison?

Harlan

Harlan Carvey, CISSP
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com
http://windowsir.blogspot.com