Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Fragmented UDP and Multicast Addresses

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:23:22 +0000

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 14:29 -0500, Chris Martin wrote:
Hello list,
Today at work we found some very strange behavior on one of our servers.
This machine was spitting out several thousand fragmented UDP packets to
an IP multicast address.
The rate of packet sending was quite high, using ethereal for about 10
minutes showed that of approximately 75,000 packets, almost 70,000 of
them where these fragmented UDP packets.  They were being sent to a
239.192.*.* which according to RFC 3171 is an Administratively Scoped
Block of IPv4 Multicast.

This really has us scratching our heads.  I was wondering if anyone here
had seen this kind of behavior before, or had any ideas as to what it
could possibly be?

A first glance guess would be simple media multicasting software of some
description. Can you narrow it down beyond UDP and recognise the
protocol being used ? (or can you provide a packet dump so that we can).

Do you have any host based analysis of the incident ?

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3