Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd traffic again...... internal --> 100.100.100.1 (137-udp)

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 17:24:29 -0400

On Aug 26, 2006, at 10:43 AM, i.m.crazy.frog () gmail com wrote:

Hi,
from the link http://www.linklogger.com/UDP137.htm
"Netbios Name Service is typically how Windows computers find out information concerning the networking features offered by a computer, such as System Name, File Shares, etc." i dont say anyting with out seeing the data.if possible pls attach ur ethereal cap file.
Thanks,
http://www.secgeeks.com

Hi-

At a customer location, I saw this exact issue.  They had a Xerox
printer hooked up to the network.  The printer comes with a PC that
controls the print jobs.  The communication on this machine to the
printer is on a private network that Xerox decided to use the
100.100.100.0 network.  For some reason this machine will try and
route traffic over the wrong interface quite often.  This is why you
will see drops from your firewall.  I can't guarantee that this is
what you are seeing, but it looks exactly the same.

Kevin
GCIA, GCIH, CEH
BASE Project Lead
http://base.secureideas.net