Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: WMF Threat OK , but no huge attack ... WHY ?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:05:13 -0500

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:34:18 GMT, pejman.gohari () gmail com said:
Hi,

The WMF threat was and continues to be important.
But I’m curious to know why we didn’t observe any important attack on Internet?

Maybe there was one, and we didn't notice.

WMF was a perfect Zero-Day attack and a scenario like the blackout of Internet was possible … but nothing … or no
important attack!

Only if that was a goal...

All hackers become white-hat?

No. Many of the hackers depend on the net being *UP* to make their money.
If the net is down, it's harder to go hacking for credit card numbers, or threaten
to DDoS a specific site, or all the other ways the hackers pay their rent.

Who benefits if the *entire* net is down? (Think about that for a while....)

Or they attacked and we didn’t see anything?

Well, if *I* was a black hat, I'd have used the WMF hole to get a backdoor into
a fairly limited number of machines that I intended to use for benefit.  Just
think - a few compromised PC's on the internal net of each of the hundred
biggest banks...  And I'd certainly want to be as invisible as possible while
doing it.