Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Tim <tim-forensics () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:48:27 -0400

It wouldn't hurt to actually read how it works before criticizing it.

I appologize, I should have read into it first.  I am obviously just
frustrated with getting blocked frequently when my systems have never
sent a single spam or virus, even inadvertantly.

Policyd-weight (the name implies what it does) provides a weighted score to
each "bad" thing an MTA does.  The *cumulative* score is what matters.  It
also *subtracts* points for good things that an MTA does.  So, the
situation you describe should not be a problem.

Perhaps it is worth investigating.  While machine-learning based
filtering has been extremely accurate for me, I have had to resort to
some blacklisting merely to reduce my bandwidth consumption when
the annoying Windows virus (is that redundant?) of the week pounds my
systems.  Thanks for the tip.

tim