Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious files in /tmp

From: "Remko Lodder" <remko () elvandar org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:38:47 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Matt,

Indeed FreeBSD doesn't respect the cases where a shell script is on a
noexec mounted device; but where /bin/sh is still executable (/bin/sh
/tmp/script for example). From the Manual page this should be clear that
it is not designed as a security measure but to aid other activities; it
is unlikely that we (see the archives for more information, this had been
discussed a couple of times) will change this behaviour (since the design
isn't for
security):

mount(8):

             noexec  Do not allow execution of any binaries on the mounted
                     file system.  This option is useful for a server that
has
                     file systems containing binaries for architectures other
                     than its own.  Note: This option was not designed as a
                     security feature and no guarantee is made that it will
                     prevent malicious code execution; for example, it is
                     still possible to execute scripts which reside on a
                     noexec mounted partition.

Hope this helps aiding you a bit with the information we can deliver.

Regards,
Remko