Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Suspicious files in /tmp

From: "Matt D. Harris" <mdh () solitox net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:47:13 -0400

They're being executed despite filesystem mount options because the script isn't being executed, the perl interpretter is. The script is being read and interpretted by the perl interpretter. Interesting - I hadn't thought of this before. Some logic to check the underlying filesystem of a script before reading it would be a very cool addition to perl from a security standpoint. Wouldn't be a big performance hit at all just to check once every require, etc as well. It'd need to be somewhat platform specific. Anyways, it would be neat for someone to bring this up within the Perl community as a possible idea, and maybe consider python, ruby, and others as well. Then there're various shells... I tested bash and FreeBSD's /bin/sh, and neither of them respect the noexec mount flag on FreeBSD either. It seems like this should be a relatively easy problem to correct, at least for the most common platforms. It's a thought that I'm going to bring up with the FreeBSD guys and see what their reaction is. Thanks for bringing this up here. Take care, Matt

kladizkov.thehome wrote:
Hi,

My firewall LFD, pulled out three perl scripts from /tmp. It was found
to be executing in my server. I have attached the scripts along with
this mail. Is this issue familiar to anyone?

How can a script uploaded to /tmp be executed when it has noexec privilege?

ALERT: .How a Hacker Launches a SQL Injection Attack!.- White Paper It's as simple as placing additional SQL commands into a Web Form input box giving hackers complete access to all your backend systems! Firewalls and IDS will not stop such attacks because SQL Injections are NOT seen as intruders. Download this *FREE* white paper from SPI Dynamics for a complete guide to protection!
https://download.spidynamics.com/1/ad/sql.asp?Campaign_ID=70160000000Cn8E