Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Mysterious JavaScript appearance in website database

From: Glenn Gillis <glenn () elaw org test-google-a com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:20:57 -0700

Bojan Zdrnja wrote, On 4/15/2008 12:26 AM:
Glenn,

It's almost certainly an SQL injection attack that inserted the line
of code above to all your HTML pages. These have become very common
lately.

I wrote a diary describing such an attack at
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3823

Cheers,

Bojan

Thanks, everyone, for your informative replies. I feel a little sheepish for not having heard of the Midhena virus prior to this, but as many of you pointed out, that seems to have been what got us.

I wish I could update our CMS (if the vendor still supported it, instead of having moved on to deploying Plone sites!) I do believe I know the entry point of the SQL injection, however, and have a good backup of the database from just prior to the attack to roll back to.

Thanks again!
--
Glenn Gillis
ELAW U.S. Information Technology Manager

P.S. Sorry for tripping everyone's email anti-virus software by enclosing the text of the .js file in my post! G.