Interesting People mailing list archives

#5 grad student slavery

From: David Dean <dean () karron med nyu edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 11:19:24 -0400

There is another side to the recent debate about graduate student
labor. Just like welfare, the discomfort of most graduate student
stipends are an impetus to finish. You have the option to mortgage
your future with loans (if you can get one), but to my mind that adds
to the dis- comfort. I have less of a problem with the current
system's inability to provide enough support for grad students or give
realistic advice on the job market. What bothers me is "time creep."
As you are "discovering" yourself in graduate school often real life
events creep in like marriage and parenthood. This makes it harder to
take that $20-25K post- doc 3000 miles away from your spouse's job.
The recent nanny-gate controversy highlighted how punitive the system
is to people just starting out. With first year college costs 18 years
from now estimated at $75,000 you're not only sacrificing your current
well being by holding out for an academic or industry position in your
field that allows a middle class lifestyle, you're also sacrificing
your children's chances. Wouldn't it also be nice to save something
for retirement? It's creeping up on you.

| David Dean, Ph.D. (dean () nyu edu)        *************************** |
| Inst. of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery *  FAX: 263-8139 or x5400 * |
| and Department of Cell Biology          * Alternate FAX: 769-5842 * |
| NYU Med Ctr, Rm TH571, 560 First Avenue *************************** |
| New York, New York 10016-6402 USA          Voice: (212) 263-5156    |