Interesting People mailing list archives

##3 Publications of Interest

From: Paul Martin <martin () elab dnet ge com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 22:00:01 PDT

  The August 1993 issue of IEEE Spectrum has a cover article entitled,
"Jobs at Risk."  (IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics
Engineers.)  The article surveys unemployment in several countries and
in several U.S. electronics industrial subfields. The only US field in
which employment increased was prepackaged software, which showed an
anemic 1.5% increase between December 1991 and December 1992. In the
meantime, aerospace jobs have decreased 29% from their peak in 1989.
Apparently, awareness (exposure?) of the Myth is spreading.

From: sotireli () ceg uiuc edu (Paul Sotirelis)

  There is a 17 page article "Jobs at Risk" in the August 1993 issue of
Spectrum.  It is the most detailed article on high-tech job prospects
that I have come across.  Of course it is from an engineering
perspective.  There is extensive information on jobs in Europe, India,
Southeast Asia, Japan, South America and China in addition to North
America.  This article is heavy on useful statistics and also includes
advice on the new places to find jobs.

From: sergio () seismo unr edu (Sergio Chavez-Perez)

  My thesis advisor gave me a copy of the paper: "Scientific Elites and
Scientific Illiterates" by David L. Goodstein, Engineering & Science,
Spring 1993, California Inst. of Technology.
  It's an excellent description of the present (and future) scientific
scenario in this country.

[Reprinted from the Sigma Xi Forum Proceedings, February, 1993.  -ed.]