Interesting People mailing list archives

Internet Access From a Rural Exchange [Summary]

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1993 05:12:04 -0500

Date: Thu, 4 Nov 93 10:15:55 EST
From: adiron!tro () uunet UU NET (Tom Olin)
Subject: Internet Access From a Rural Exchange [Summary]

Here's a summary of the responses to my query about Internet access
from a small, rural telephone exchange.  My original message:

I want to obtain some type of Internet access from my home, which is
located in a small exchange (315-861) that is long distance to just
about every place that's anyplace [including access points to the
major on-line services, such as CompuServe, AOL, etc.]

If I have to pay long distance, I would prefer not to have to pay for
a host account on top of that.  And if I'm going to pay for long
distance, I might as well consider sites outside of New York State,
since interstate rates will likely be lower than intrastate rates.

It seems, then, that I need a good discount long-distance plan and a
free, public-access system.  The former is pretty much limited to
AT&T, since my local exchange does not yet have equal access dialing.
The latter is open for suggestions.

Other solutions are welcome, as well.

I received over two dozen replies.  Most of the suggestions listed
below were echoed by more than one person.

* 800 NUMBER ACCESS

From: uunet!cup.portal.com!atfurman

 ... consider the option of last resort: "800" number access.  You can
find providers who offer it in the PDIAL and "Forgotten Sites"
directories, which are posted from time to time on
alt.internet.access.wanted.  A typical example of this service is from
OARnet in Ohio.  It costs $10 or $12/hour prime time (8-6 weekdays)
and $8/hour off-prime-time, which is 13 cents a minute, plus a signup
fee and/or small monthly charge.  Rates up to 14.4 kbits/sec are
supported.  I thought I saw an announcement on alt.internet.access.wanted
of someone who had this for $5/hour off-prime, but I forget who.  You
will have to check on whether these operators have Usenet and email
along with the deal.

* CALL FORWARDING

One reader suggested installing a phone line in an exchange that is
local to both mine and a network access area (e.g., Utica) and using
call forwarding on that line to allow me to access the common
services.  [Such an exchange exists in my case, but I don't believe it
has call forwarding yet.]

* CNS (CONSUMER NEWS SERVICE)

From: uunet!ocnet.cscns.com!kbethke (Kenneth Scott Bethke)

I call a system in Utah I think ... called CNS (Consumer News Service)
They have an 800 Number to the machine and it tops out at about $8 an
hour including system connect time.  I opt for AT&T Reach Out America
(about $5.90 per hour), and online connect charges are $2/hr.

* FREE BBS

From: uunet!unix1.sncc.lsu.edu!eevasa (R.M.S. Vasan)

If you are willing to pay for the call, there are a bunch of free
BBSes (Unix-like if you prefer or gopher or rn based services) around
the country.  I have used bbs.oit.unc.edu (North Carolina) and
nyx.cs.du.edu.  Both are free to get a guest account, need to
snailmail a form to get posting priviliges.  The latter lets you to
ftp, mail, even uucp over dial-ups; only 2k or (2M ?) storage limit.
Launchpad at unc provides rn or nn access, posting privileges, but no
ftp access; all messages have to be downloaded (Kermit works best).

* FREENET

From: uunet!lanl.gov!rgt (Richard Thomsen)

I am in the same position, in a rural area in northern New Mexico.  I
access the Denver Freenet.  It will cost me a long-distance call to
get in, but access time is free.  You might check for freenet access
around your area.  You can get the addresses of freenet sites from the
following:

  First -- use anonymous ftp to nptn.org.
  Pull the several files in the /pub/info.nptn directory.

  Read them closely, then for more information write to:

info () nptn org

* INFOSERVE

From: uunet!dlogics!dlm  (Dave Mausner)

Mail a request for info to postmaster () infoserve com

[no other information provided]

* MCIMAIL

From: danny burstein <uunet!panix.com!dannyb>

What is it?  MCIMAIL is an e-mail system with dialup lines. It allows
you to send and receive email ACROSS INTERNET for some pretty decent
pricing.  However, it does not have any sort of telnet/ftp capability.

Pricing: This is the part that's quite good.  There is a single
$35/year registration fee, and then there is a charge for SENDING
messages (ranges from $.50 for a thousand characters and another 25
cents or so for each additional K) There is NO CHARGE for RECEIVING,
and there is NO CHARGE for CONNECT TIME.  And, to dial in, you call a
1-800 number, so that part is free as well.

Since it's now connected to Internet, you can get e-mail from
individuals, and from any listserv-type GROUP you subscribe to.  What
you don't get: there is no access to usenet nor to other systems.  You
have email, but you do not have ftp or telnet.

For further info, give them a call at:
   1-800-444-MAIL

* NET IOWA (IOWA NETWORK SERVICES)

From: "S.Rathinam 319-395-8290"
<uunet!HOBBES.CCA.CR.ROCKWELL.COM!SYS_SRR@harper>

Until the end of this year, netIOWA is providing an 800 number access
for $1/day (use it or not).  I am not sure if this number works
outside Iowa.  Contact kevin () ins infonet net for more info and
account.

* PC PURSUIT

From: uunet!netcom.com!wurton (William L.Urton)

One cheap way would be to use Sprintnet's PC-Pursuit (about
$30 for 30 off-peak hours/month, $50 for 50 off-peak
hours/month) to access a flat rate service like Netcom or
Netsys (disclaimer-I have no connection to PC-Pursuit or
Netcom other than as a satisfied customer). PC Pursuit's info
number is (800) 736-1130.

* PDIAL

uunet!netcom.com!puma (Gary Breuckman)

There's a file called "PDIAL" that lists many public commercial
systems, I'll send you a copy separately.

[To receive the current edition of the PDIAL, send email
containing the phrase "Send PDIAL" to  "info-deli-server () netcom com".]

* RABBITNET

From: uunet!triple-i.com!jeffw (Jeff Wasilko)

Rabbitnet offers access via a toll-free number for less than
$5/hour off peak (7p-7a). THey provide interactive access or
UUCP accounts.

Mail liason () rabbit net for info.

* SPEEDWAY

From: uunet!iecc.com!johnl (John R Levine)

Sounds like you're a good candidate for Speedway, which offers a
reasonable set of Internet services for no charge beyond the toll
call.  You have to call via AT&T, we assume that since they have a
direct connection, AT&T rebates part of the cost of the call to them.
You can use any of AT&T's calling plans, some of which are pretty
cheap at off hours.

[Speedway features unlimited connect time; SLIP, PPP, E-Mail,
News; V.32bis modems; and it's all free but for the phone
        call.  For more information, write to support () speedway net.]

Several people suggested various services like PSI, Netcom, Halcyon,
and others, which charge a monthly fee.  Since I'd have to pay long
distance tolls on top of their fees, I'm going to look at the various
free or 800-access services first.

Thanks to all who responded.

Tom Olin        PAR Technology Corporation   Tel:(315)738-0600 Ext 638
tro () partech com           New Hartford, NY   Fax:(315)738-8304