Interesting People mailing list archives

Government Information Locator Service (GILS)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 21:26:08 -0500

From: echristi () isdres er usgs gov (Eliot Christian)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 09:50:15 -0500

I am currently working with the Office of Management and Budget, in
concert with the Information Policy Committee of the Information
Infrastructure Task Force, to promote the establishment of an
agency-based Government Information Locator Service (GILS). GILS is
intended to help the public locate and access public information
throughout the U.S. government.

Through this note and notices in both the Commerce Business Daily and
the Federal Register, we are requesting comments on a GILS design
document I developed based on ongoing discussions within the
Interagency Public Access Conference, Locator Subgroup.

The document is available via anonymous FTP from 130.11.48.107
 as /pub/gils.doc (Microsoft Word for Windows format)
 or /pub/gils.txt (ASCII text format).

The document is also available on the FedWorld electronic bulletin
board, accessed by modem at 703-321-8020 (ANSI terminal emulation, no
parity, one stop bit, eight data bits).  For further instructions to
access FedWorld, call 703-487-4608. I encourage additional posting of
the document on other servers to ensure as much accessibility as
possible.

Written comments should be received by December 15 to:

   Barbara Banks, Information Policy Branch
   Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
   Office of Management and Budget, Room 3235
   New Executive Office Building
   Washington, D.C. 20503

Comments may also be submitted via electronic mail to the
following OMB X.400 mail address:

   /s=gils/c=us/admd=telemail/prmd=gov+eop
   (Internet users add "/@sprint.com" to the address.)

An open public meeting on the proposed GILS will be held from 2:00
p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on December 13 in the auditorium of the
   Department of the Interior
   1849 C Street, N.W.
   Washington, D.C.

To request an opportunity to speak at the public meeting, please call
Barbara Banks at (202) 395-4814. Persons wishing to attend the public
meeting but not be scheduled to speak need not identify themselves in
advance.

I very much appreciate your review of the document, and I welcome any
thoughts you may have about the proposed Government Information
Locator Service.

Thank You.
Eliot Christian
U.S. Geological Survey