Interesting People mailing list archives

Experts say: Responsibility Needed With Telemedicine In The Future

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 21:24:30 -0400

Experts say:  Responsibility Needed With Telemedicine In The Future
      By Janice Gregorson
      Transcribed with permission from the 10/4 Rochester MN Post-Bulletin

A national clinic and a medical environment where geographic walls are
shattered is possible through telemedicine, experts said Saturday.

Video communications technology can break down barriers and open
doors, particularly for health-care providers in remote areas.  It can
enhance diagnoses, expedite research and improve treatment; test
results can be transmitted electronically.

But with that promise comes responsibility.

Dr. Allen Weis, president and chief executive officer of Advanced
Networks and Services Inc. of Greenwich, Conn., cautioned that the
need for privacy and security will have to be built into any
electronic network.

Weis and other experts looked to the future in a panel discussion as
part of the three-day Mayo Telemedicine Symposium, which occurred
simultaneously via satellite at Mayo facilities here, in Jacksonville,
Fla, and Scottsdale, Ariz.  Speakers from medicine, industry and
government addressed issues related to health-care delivery and
consultation via telemedicine.

David J. Farber, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania in
Philadelphia, shared some of Weis' concerns.

"The 21st century will see the first world culture and technology will
drive that culture," he said.

But there are serious questions.

Farber said there could be multiple big brothers monitoring what
people do and punishing them for what they do or have done.

"There are a whole set of issues regarding fundamental rights and the
law that can act to stop our (telemedicine) dreams," he said.  "We are
just beginning to explore the issues.  We can predict the technology,
but have very little track record in knowing how it will impact
society."

Danny Cohen of Myricom Inc. of Sierra Madre, Calif., said one of the
issues to be resolved is where the medical data should be kept and who
will own it.

Colin Crook, senior technology officer for Citibank in New York,
predicted an exciting technological future.  "We don't know where we
are going, but we should enjoy the journey," he said.  "Enjoy it each
day.  Enjoy where you are."

He also urged those attending the symposium to get excited about the
journey and don't be afraid of it.

"Develop the technology," he said, adding that no one can do it alone.
"you will have to partner with people you never have before.  This is
the way the entire world will work."