Interesting People mailing list archives

US gives Sri Lanka permission to join the Internet...

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 22:33:27 -0500

I was about to ask the same question. Just what is the Amercian ownership
issues.

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 22:56:48 -0400
From: bzs () world std com (Barry Shein)
Subject: US gives Sri Lanka permission to join the Internet...

       WASHINGTON (UPI) -- Vice President Al Gore and Sri Lanka's Prime
Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe have signed an agreement that allows Sri
Lanka to join a worldwide computer network.
       Internet connects computer users in more than 100 countries. Gore
said that for scientists, engineers and teachers, Internet is an
essential tool for research and education.

(rest deleted but not really interesting.)

Ok, my question is, why did Sri Lanka need Al Gore's signature to join
the Internet?

       -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () world std com          | uunet!world!bzs