Interesting People mailing list archives

style

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 10:11:13 -0500

Posted-Date: Tue, 7 Sep 93 09:44:44 -0400
From: Frank Kastenholz <kasten () ftp com>

In the "Style" section of Sunday's New York Times was an article on the
Internet. I guess we are now stylish. I guess it is time to go find
something else to do :-)

Some chioce excerpts:
        "Forget Elaine's. Internet is currently the world's most fashionable
        rendezvous."

    "Why: It was really Vice President Al Gore who got the ball rolling.
        For the past six years Mr. Gore told anyone who would listen that a
        nationwide high-speed computer network would create an economic
        revival."

        "The Most Exclusive Address: president () whitehouse gov"

        "No longer a wild frontier, the Internet now has its own police and
        fire departments. The fire fighters: the Computer Emergency Response
        Team at the Software Engineering Institute, a group of programmers
        in Pittsburgh ready to respond to attacks by computer rogues and
        viruses. The police officers: Both the F.B.I. and the Justice
        Department have computer crime squads with links to Scotland Yard and
        the Canadian Mounties"

        "The best haunts on the Internet are cosy little Unix computers."

        "...but if you really want to understand what the Internet means
        rather than where it goes, try the three science fiction classics:
        William Gibson's 'Neuromancer', John Brunner's 'Shockwave Rider' and
        Vernor Vinge's 'True Names'"

--
Frank Kastenholz
FTP Software