Interesting People mailing list archives

Computer jobs in Israel -- situation

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 08:25:07 -0500

From: Jacob Richman <jrichman () jerusalem1 datasrv co il>

It looks like the press is having a good time with the shortage of
computer personnel. This week's "Reshet Tikshoret" had a front page
article about the situation. The following are some higlights from the
long article:
- In the first quarter of 1993 there were about 12,800 people
  working in the computer field
- In the fourth quarter of 1993 there were 13,400
  (previos year there were 11,900)
- Manpower Agency reports in 1993 there was a 37% increase of demand for
  computer professionals as opposed to a decline of 3% in demand for
  non-computer people
- About 2400 people were needed to fill open positions in December
  (a year ago November it was 1600)
- A worker taking home 2000 dollars a month cost the employer between
  4,000-5,000 dollars (taxes,insurance,expenses,etc....)
- Salaries in the field are high
- Various personnel departments confirmed the shortage
- Some believe we are in a cycle were in 1987-88 there was a surplus
  of workers fewer people learned computers and the results caused a
  shortage. People jumping into learning computers today will affect
  the market in 1996.
  Other claim that because we are a small country a shortage or surplus
  of 500 workers can have a greater impact here then in the USA. The
  slump in the USA market can be duplicated here in the short time.
- A particular company claims that there is no shortage in very
  experienced personnel (verse beginners).

The article had mixed opinions but in general it confirmed what I already
knew during the past 6 months of CJI. The market is good.

One last thing before the weekend update: HAPPY PURIM!