Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: I had refused to send this out

From: wulf () obelix cs virginia edu <wulf () obelix cs virginia edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 94 07:05:12 EST

Dave,

This is a matter of principle; the fact that some people didn't find
it offensive, or even "liked it" are quite irrelevant. I understand
that some folks liked the "final solution" too -- some of them were
my relatives, to my everlasting shame. Do you really think a popular
vote on the issue would have made it OK?

This one message obviously isn't the same magnitude as the holocaust,
but its possible that the issues behind Clipper *are*. I cringe that
I am on the same side as folks that are so intellectually and morally
handicapped that it's "funny" to make personal attacks on colleagues
who happen to disagree with them. Personally I find that as offensive
and threatening to the democracy as Clipper. I find it an order of
magnitude worse that you don't see a need to extract a public apology
from Shapiro along with your own.

Obviously Dave, you decide what to send out and that puts you a position
of special responsibility in my mind. But I don't have to read it; please
remove me from the list. I will return any future mail unread.

Bill