Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: CORRECTION on Clipper and Wash Post reply from

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 1994 11:08:44 -0500

From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic>
To: mnelson () ostp eop gov (Mike Nelson)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 1994 02:08:31 -0500 (EST)
Cc: interesting-people () eff org, mnelson () ostp eop gov

Mike Nelson writes:

Yes we did!  The background material stated explicitly that "the
Administration has no intention of changing current policies" that allow
any American to use any encryption device.

Indeed it does, but that's not the point of my comment.

(Unfortunately, since we
cannot predict the outcome of future elections, we cannot predict what
might happen in the future.)

You also can't predict whether, prior to future elections, your minds will
change. I know from talking personally to high-level representatives of the law
enforcement community that allowing anyone to have alternative unbreakable
encryption is a sore point.

Your current comments leave you wiggle room on this point. You can always
say "We said we had no intention of banning alternatives, but that was
before Crisis X occurred." What you don't do is *commit* to always allowing
alternatives. And what you do is attempt to create an economic environment
in which alternatives are suppressed by economic forces.

And you've put this policy in place without explaining your reasons.

I note that you do not respond to my other point: