Interesting People mailing list archives

House of Representatives Approval of Telecommunications Legislation

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 08:43:25 -0400

                          THE WHITE HOUSE
                   OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT
   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                 CONTACT: 202-456-7035
   TUESDAY, June 28, 1994

                  STATEMENT OF THE VICE PRESIDENT
               House of Representatives Approval of
                  Telecommunications Legislation

        President Clinton and I congratulate Representatives
   Dingell, Brooks, Markey, and Fields for today's overwhelming
   passage of their groundbreaking telecommunications reform
   legislation by the House of Representatives.  The
   legislation is an important step toward the creation of a
   National Information Infrastructure that will strengthen our
   economy, create jobs, improve health care, and expand
   educational opportunities for all Americans.

        Through their initiative and diligent efforts,
   Representatives Dingell, Brooks, Markey, and Fields have
   helped to usher in a new era of advanced communications.
   Their legislation eliminates outmoded restrictions while
   maintaining regulatory flexibility.  It opens
   telecommunications markets to more competition while
   safeguarding and protecting the public interest.  It
   promotes investment in new communications and information
   services, bringing better services at lower prices to
   consumers.  And it enables our nation to remain a world
   leader in the telecommunications and information revolution.

        This Administration applauds the overwhelming victory
   of these important bills, and we look forward to working
   with Senators Hollings, Inouye, Danforth and other members
   of the Senate to secure final passage of the
   telecommunications reform legislation.