Interesting People mailing list archives

Global Access, Deth Specula, and Timmer -- IUMA, the Internet Underground Music Archive

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 06:35:55 -0500

From: dionj () sco com (Dion)
Subject: Global Access, Deth Specula, and Timmer
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 16:52:42 GMT

[This was originally from Timmer to a few local folks,
but I think it needs wider circulation.  JP agreed, so here
is a little social note about one of our colorful
personalities: timr () sco com (Tim Ruckle)  Isnt it interesting
how technology spins its web around our personal lives?  Or
is it vice versa?]

  Subject: timmer on CNN  [TimR wrote this and Dion passes it on]
  Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 11:33:52 PST

  Some of you may have already heard of IUMA, the Internet Underground Music
  Archive.  It is a service run by a couple local folks which specializes in
  the free world-wide distribution of high fidelity audio from unsigned bands
  and artists via the Internet. So far they have digitized music from bands
  across the country, including three song's from my band "Deth Specula".  The
  media response to their "free music" project has been extraordinary: they
  have been interviewed for front page articles in Billboard and the San Jose
  Mercury News Business section.  The Sunday SF Chronicle had an article the
  other week which mentions Specula, and tomorrow's Santa Cruz Sentinel will
  carry a front page story on IUMA.

  You can reach the IUMA via World-Wide Web at the following URL:

   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ianc/index.html

[This relates to the use of Mosaic and/or the SCO Global Access product.
 a URL = Universal Resource Locator
   html = Hypertext Markup Language (one vehicle to create objects for
            access via Mosaic)
   http = Hypertext Transfer Protocol.
 Remember these acronyms, gang.  You will be hearing a lot more
 about this stuff.]

  My band also maintains its own home page (and may be the first on the net
  to do so) at:

   http://www.echo.com/specula/index.html

  Now for the really big news:

  IUMA is being featured in a CNN "Showbiz News" segment, which began
  yesterday.  The segment describes the operation and features interviews
  with its creators and curators Rob and Jeff.  And our new song "Careening
  Continental" was the lead-in and closing music for the piece! If you look
  closely you can even catch a glimpse of my digitized face on a monitor as
  Jeff explains how the system works.

  I saw it last night.  The thrill of hearing yourself singing on an
  international teevee broadcast is truly ineffable.  Wow.  We were able
  to tape the piece, and may add it to the next "pressing" of our video
  compilation.

  fyi,

  -timr

  ps.  For those who don't know, Specula began five years ago as a SCO
  Follies skit in the form of a rock video spoof of the Sex Pistols'
[SCO Follies is part of SCO's annual company party.  There is always
 a video spoof of some kind.]
  "Anarchy in the U.K" (which became, of course, "Anarchy at SCO").  This
  may help explain the band's name.  After a couple more years of doing
  follies videos, we decided to form a "real" band.  We began playing
  at private parties, graduated to local dives, and are now gigging farther
  afield.  This week we played the Cactus Club in San Jose, and it looks
  like we've got a gig lined up in the bay area for the 25th of this month.
  If you're in the area for UniForum you might check us out.  I am the lead
  singer (or as we say in the trade, "vocalist" ;^) and front man.
  For more info send mail to majordomo () hal com with the message body:
  subscribe specula-fans

  pps: Specula's first audio tape, "Weasel's and Cream" is now available.
  Tammy Rahn (tammyr () sco com) is handling orders.  You may send her e-mail
  to coordinate.  [ pricing info removed ]
  The tape includes a special bonus ``track'' by our close personal friends
  the _Slavic Love Dogs_ entitled "Deta Dpu".

[Now see? You never guessed you'd learn this kind of important stuff here.]