Interesting People mailing list archives

someone tell me if I can do this under a fair use argument

From: Steve Haynes <shaynes () research westlaw com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 22:59:22 -0500

Dave -

Probably not.  But on the other hand, you are likely not to be sued
unless you make a habit of it (a la Kinkos).  Your list is too big.
And the "educational" purpose is that only in its broadest sense, and
probably not in the sense intended by Copyright Act.

It's a close call -- essentially you are balancing your desire to
pass along news that's interesting (!) against the fact that widespread
abuse of copyright is not a practice that we want to condone.

So, from my standpoint, if you publish it, I'll read it, since it is
unlikely I'll otherwise see much of what you post.

Thanks for your efforts; I hope we don't have to post bond for your.

Steve haynes