Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: A PRIVATE INTERNET (NYT story off the Net)... [ Dave is right in the last

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 11:33:57 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 08:29:44 -0700
From: dcrocker () mordor stanford edu (Dave Crocker)

  Some experts say the government's planned withdrawal from Internet
  management - ending nearly a decade of oversight and an estimated $12
  million in annual subsidies - is the best way to bring marketplace
  efficiencies to the increasingly commercial global network.

Where does the $12B estimate come from.  I can't believe it is anywhere
near that high or ever has been, unless one counts charges for direct
government USE, perhaps.  That's not subsidy.

How do we stop perpetuation of the myth that the Internet is "moving" to
privatization and, instead, help people see that it has already happened,
except for some vestigal funding.  If the funding went away tomorrow, it
would be irritating, but not catastrophic.

d/

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                          Phone:  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                  Fax:    +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086               Email:  dcrocker () mordor stanford edu