Interesting People mailing list archives

Quote from proof copy of C&S book [tis a real truth to this]

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 04:05:11 -0400

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 12:24:20 -0400
From:  smtp

Someone e-mailed this to me today.  It's a quote from page 12 of a review
copy of the C&S book.   He doesn't want me to tell who he is, so don't ask me.

(Most of you are on my To: list because you've corresponded with me
regarding Canter & Siegel sometime this year.)

---- Begin quote from C&S ----------

"As we mentioned earlier, some starry eyed individuals who access the
Net think of Cyberspace as a community, with rules, regulations and
codes of behaviour. Don't you believe it! There is no community.
Perhaps there was some truth in that concept in the past, when the
Internet was used exclusively by a small, homogeneous group of
academics and corporate technical researchers.  Today, with Internet
access available to everyone, Iway travellers reflect every
heterogeneous nuance of the world population. Along your journey,
someone may try to tell you that in order to be a good Net "citizen",
you must follow the rules of the Cyberspace community. Don't listen.
The only laws and rules with which you should concern yourself are
those passed by the country, state and city in which you live. The only
ethics you should adopt as you pursue wealth on the Iway are those
dictated by the religious faith you have chosen to follow and your own
good conscience."

---- End quote from C&S --------