Interesting People mailing list archives

some light reading Re: DER SPIEGEL COMES TO THE INTERNET [

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 1994 07:21:17 -0400

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 22:18:47 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: daleoc () interaccess com (Dale O'Connor)

DER SPIEGEL COMES TO THE INTERNET
The German weekly magazine Der Spiegel says it's the first news magazine
worldwide to offer illustrated information pages on the Internet. The
magazine's Web service will inform users about the topics of Der Spiegel's
current issue and will allow readers to switch (for example) from a
computer in Berlin or Vienna to the text and picture pages of the news
magazine in Hamburg, to music clips from the Rolling Stones, to newspaper
articles from the Polish newspaper "Warzawa Gazeta", or (yes!) even to
Edupage.  The URL for Der Spiegel is http://spiegel.nda.net/nda/spiegel

I visited Der Spiegel in the wee hours of this morning.  TIME should take a
look, too. (Their web page was a huge disappointment when I visited
yesterday for the second time.)

Der Spiegel has abstracts of its articles in English, but you have to read
German to get the full text of articles.

I didn't know I could read German, which I never studied but when I was in
college (1957-61) I typed a book Icko Iben, University of Illinois of
Illinois arhivist and newspaper librarian was writing in German on the
Germanic press.  And so this morning wanting to know Der Spiegel's
perspective on the scandals in the British royal family, I read the article
in the current issue and downloaded it to disk.  The Der Spiegel author is
hoping Queen Elizabeth inherited her mother's longevity genes and is able to
rule until Prince William is in his 30s.

Almost everything I read via the internet or America OnLine, I download to
disk.  I've discovered how to do that with most of what I find on Mosaic --
(1) download to disk, (2) archive, commit, (3) reload.

The reload step hasn't been working with articles I find at the http for the
San Francisco Chronicle and Examiner.  That didn't bother me until early
this morning when I found that the Examiner has a fairly deep archive on the
O.J. Simpson trial.  I navigated from Der Spiegel to

http://sfgate.com/examiner/simpsonhom.html

There was a reference to an official unoffiical oj home page, which I
couldn't get to --

Oftp://ftp.netcom/pub/carasso/www.oj.htmlO -- or possibly that last part
should be www/oj/html.

None of the versions got me there.

Some other interesting sidetrips on the web early this morning --

A tip from Steve Rhodes shared on TIME OnLine 9/25/94 led me to the linked
list of newspapers being maintained by a J school professor at the
University of Florida --

http://www.jou.ufl.edu/commres/webjou.htm  (did html first and got message
that it was htm.)

I lived in Italty for a few months in the fall of 1967 and decided I could
try finding out the Italian perspective on recent events by checking out the
current issue for 10/28/94 *venerdi* of L'Unione Sarda at

http://www.cts4.it/~ruggiero/unione.html

And then before reading anything in the paper I was seduced by the
possibilities of an active map of the UK and Ireland.  Clicked my way there
and made a note of the route to get there more directly in the future.

My great grandfather John Daly (later Daily) came from Limerick to America
in 1853, so I clicked on Limerick on the map of Ireland --

http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/misc/eire/limerick.html

There I I visited the University of Limerick

Next tried

http://itdsrv1.ul.ie/home-page.html

and discovered there is a "Virtual Tourist Guide to Ireland"

htttp://www/bess/tcd/ie/ireland.html

and then I found out about Paddy Waldron of the Department of Economics at
Trinity College, Dublin, e-mail pwaldron () tcd ie, who wants to help everyone
find their Irish roots --

http://www.bess.tcd.ie/roots__ie.html

I have been obsessed with seeking romance, obsessed with my job, obsessed
with food and now I have a Mosaic obsession.  This morning I told my husband
he should stop marketing his floral container distributorship as the place
that offers customers the most choice.

With all of those choices, how am I ever going to get enough sleep again and
do something that brings in some cash..........

Dale