Interesting People mailing list archives

Organizational Changes at EFF

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 19:59:11 -0400

Organizational Changes at EFF:Taubman Executive Director, Berman
Director of Policy

September 28, 1994

The Chairman and Board of Directors of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
(EFF) today announced the immediate appointment of Andrew E.  Taubman as
Executive Director of EFF.  The Board of Directors approved the hiring of
Mr.  Taubman at its most recent meeting in mid-July.  At the same time,
Jerry Berman, Executive Director since January 1992, was appointed the
Director of Policy.  The move was made to effect the best placement of
talents and experience.  Mr.  Taubman will focus on EFF as an organization,
while Mr.  Berman's role in policy and legislative development will
continue in recognition of the increased significance of EFF's political
role in Washington.

"I am delighted to welcome Drew to EFF, where we expect him to play a
major role in orchestrating the next phase of development of the
organization.  The Board went through a long and thoughtful process to
find the best candidate, and in Drew we believe we have him," said
Mitchell Kapor, co-founder of EFF.

Prior to joining EFF, Mr. Taubman was the President/Managing Partner of
The Taubman Group, a Cleveland-based management consultancy created in
1985 for public sector and related organizations.  His professional
positions include appointments as Vice President of the Cleveland
Institute of Music, Ohio; Executive Director of The Ohio Caring
Foundation's Caring Program For Children, Cincinnati; Director of
Development and Alumni Affairs/Associate Director of the University of
Cincinnati Foundation, Ohio; Associate Director of Development at Wright
State University, Dayton, Ohio; Cultural Arts Director of The Leo
Yassenoff Center, Columbus, Ohio; and Development Officer, Public
Television and Radio at Michigan State University, East Lansing,
Michigan.  His community involvement as a committee member/officer or
trustee has been regular and diversified in health care and the arts.  He
has consulted and testified on healthcare reform, social service,
education, and the arts.

Mr. Taubman received his BA in Arts Administration from Michigan State
University and has continued his professional education with a focus on
the non-profit sector.

An additional organizational change at EFF was the creation in May of the
Privacy and Technology Project.  This project is headed by Janlori
Goldman, former Director of the Privacy and Technology Project at the
ACLU.  Ms. Goldman is assisted by Staff Counsel Deirdre K. Mulligan, a
1994 graduate of Georgetown Law School, who assisted on the ACLU project
while a Public Interest Law Scholar in law school.

Concurrent with the implementation of these recent changes, EFF's Board
of Directors is committed to continued support for Legal Services and
increased development of the Community Building aspect of EFF's mission.

"I am very optimistic about this change," said co-founder John Perry
Barlow.  "Jerry Berman needs to be in a position to focus on policy, and
we think we've built an organization that can support his efforts rather
than require his continuous attention to administrative detail.  EFF has
a revitalized focus on community services and understanding the issues
involved in civilizing cyberspace.  Drew Taubman is exactly the person to
run this phase of EFF."

For further information, please contact Kathleen Zaffina at
kzaffina () eff org or 202/347-5400.