Interesting People mailing list archives

TV GUIDE: 60 Minutes to feature item on software piracy

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 18:37:20 -0500

Submitted by:   Mark Johnson (markj () saintjoe edu)
Source:         Jim Lennane, DeScribe
Date received:  1995 February 2
Date posted:    1995 February 2
DeScribe, Inc. CEO Jim Lennane just called me asking me to announce the
following on the net:

This Sunday's (Feb. 5, 1995) episode of CBS's Sixty Minutes is scheduled to
have an installment on Internet piracy, which will feature DeScribe CEO Jim
Lennane and others speaking about their recent dealings with this thorny
problem -- net-readers will rememeber that, some time back, Lennane
informed users on CompuServe and the net that copies of DeScribe 5.0
had been illegally posted and downloaded from an FTP site, and that he
offered a $10,000 "bounty" towards the successful identification and
prosecution of the responsible parties.

Lennane told me that he was interviewed for about 40 minutes by Mike Wallace,
the host of that installment -- he has not been told how his interview will
be found in the installment.
Dave Tholen                 moderator for comp.os.os2.announce
Institute for Astronomy     Internet:  tholen () newton ifa hawaii edu
2680 Woodlawn Drive
Honolulu, HI  96822         Astronewsbyte:  18th trans-Neptunian object found