Interesting People mailing list archives

Gingrich takes a stand

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 22:57:59 -0500

From: watha () det-freepress com
Posted-Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 20:44:53 -0500
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 95 14:59 EST
Subject: Gingrich takes a stand
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (Dave Farber)

Thought you'd find this interesting.

Hiawatha Bray
Detroit Free Press

HOUSE SPEAKER NEWT GINGRICH DECLARES
INTERNET CENSORSHIP UNCONSTITUTIONAL

        Washington, D.C. -  In an interview with Sir David Frost airing

tonight on
the PBS program ...talking with David Frost, House Speaker Newt Gingrich
(R-GA) discussed his views on censoring the Internet.

        Excerpts from the interview are below:

Frost:          Right. What do you think about Senator Exon's ideas for

federal law
to ban obscene material from the Internet? Is that practical?

Gingrich:       It's probably illegal under our Constitution is my guess. We

have
a very strong freedom of speech provision. On the other hand, I've been
advocating quite openly that major advertisers ought to announce that they
will not advertise on radio stations that broadcast songs encouraging the
raping and the torture and the physical violence against women.  I mean,
freedom of speech doesn't mean subsidized speech.  And we have every right as
a culture, not as a government but as a culture; we have every right for wise
leadership to say we won't support that. We won't tolerate that.

Gingrich:       Now, first of all ... computers. There is a problem, nowadays

.. I
was quite surprised when I was told this by an expert. There is a problem
nowadays, pedophiles - using computer networking to try to pursue children.
It's truly amazing. I think there you have a perfect right on a
non-censorship basis to intervene decisively against somebody who would prey
upon children. And that I would support very intensely. It's very different
than trying to censor willing adults.

        The hour-long interview with House Speaker Newt Gingrich airs Friday,

March
31 at 10:00 p.m. E.T. on PBS (check local listings).

        A production of David Paradine Television and WETA, Washington, D.C.,
...talking with David Frost is made possible by a grant from ITT Corporation.
Executive producers are Sir David Frost and John M. Florescu.  Producer is
Wallace Westfeldt.  Coordinating producer is Rebecca Miller.
Executive-in-charge for WETA is Sue Ducat.