Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How big is the problem of recording all telephone conversations

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () networking stanford edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 17:31:39 -0800

        Well, ok.  So it's "feasible".

        But once someone has all that tape, what do they DO with it?

        And now that I've asked the question, it occurs to me that it would
be truly trivial to make the recording system note the phone number pair
and time into a data base.  Want to know if Rosa Lopez called OJ's
attorney's sometime?  Poof.  No problem.  In fact, it would not be all that
tough to make the whole thing pretty automated, including retrieval.

        Might make an interesting Internet service...

        The interesting part about this whole scheme is that it creates
access to historical conversations.  Current law ties permission to do
recording with the permission to USE the recording.  Create an
indiscriminate recording system and only the right-to-use would be required
for the court order.

        Instead of key escrow for clipper, we move into tape escrow for
conversation.

d/

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                                  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                    fax:  +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086                       dcrocker () mordor stanford edu