Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I Don't Support Spamming (edited with permission from

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:29:15 -0500

Subject: I Don't Support Spamming

---------------------------------------
Amusing Rants from Dave Farber's Desktop
Released on 2/26/96; 9:03:48 AM PST
---------------------------------------

  I think this is important.

  I've been getting mail about campaigns to resist the censorship of
  the net by sending large volumes of email to public officials.

  I encourage people to *not* forward this email around the net.

  Assume that public officials don't understand how email works.

  You're preaching to the uninitiated. Meet them where they live, go to
  the trouble to print out and mail a real letter. Make it look good. Make
  it respectful. It'll blow their minds.

  Overload their inboxes with tons of email and they'll retreat to the
  safety of their belief that the net is a bad place.

  First they hear that we're pornographers. Now we'll be seen as
  vandals.

  Email is too easy.

  If you have a printer, use it.

  Dave