Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: telecommunications industry to a vote Thursday

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 18:24:27 -0500

This has been confirmed. So much for give aways etc. Want to bet nothing
gets done about it.

Indecency here we come

Dave

WASHINGTON (Jan 31, 1996 5:53 p.m. EST) -- House GOP leaders intend to
bring a broad bill deregulating
the telecommunications industry to a vote Thursday without changes sought
by Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole.

"I am delighted to announced that the logjam ... has now been broken,"
Rep. Thomas Bliley, R-Va., one of the
bill's primary authors, said Wednesday, adding the bill will move forward
"without significant changes."

"It's going to the floor," said Lauren Sims, an aide to House Speaker
Newt Gingrich, R-Ga.

Sen. Larry Pressler, R-S.D., another of the bill's primary authors, said
he also wants "to move forward with the
bill as written" and that he would like the Senate to vote Thursday, too.

House GOP and Democratic aides said the bill would not be rewritten to
change a provision opposed by Dole,
which would give TV broadcasters free use of extra channels they'll need
to provide higher-quality digital
television. Dole has been blocking the bill because of that provision.

Bliley said in a statement: "I have agreed to review the spectrum
allocation issues in detail, and to take action on
concerns that have been raised if necessary." Neither Bliley nor his
aides were available to elaborate.