Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:53:16 -0500

I agree with Danny completely especially the statement at the end of the
following paragraph djf

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:36:59 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Daniel J. Weitzner" <djw () cdt org>

Dave & Declan:  There's been a lot of talk about "censorship" by private
parties on the net.  I believe that it's a big distraction from the real
problems of government censorship that the net faces from openly repressive
and allegedly open governments all around the world.  The net community has
got to get clear on the difference between repressive government actions,
on the one hand, and private acts of editorial discretion, on the other
hand.  The former are pernicious threats to the free flow of information
online.  The later are, in my view, constitutionally-protected editorial
choices which actually go a long way toward contributing to the diversity
of discource and community on the net.  Any suggestion that exercise of
editorial control (which is what Gilmore did, as far as I can tell from
Declan's story) be a basis for legal liability is a disaster for the net.