Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: watch the snoopers

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:40:58 -0400

From: jod () ccat sas upenn edu (James O'Donnell)
To: farber () cis upenn edu (David Farber)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:24:23 -0400 (EDT)

Netscape Communicator (a.k.a. Netscape 4.0) lets you watch the people who
are watching you.  Click on Edit/Preferences/Advanced and check the box
for "Warn me before accepting a cookie" and then lead your normal WWW life
for a day or two.  You will be amazed at the number of times that it pings
you to tell you of information being collected about your habits.  Even
banner ads on Yahoo pages, e.g., are checking up on you.  After a couple
of days it will start to drive you nuts, and you can either turn off your
own surveillance or, by clicking "Disable Cookies", turn off theirs.

Jim O'Donnell
Classics, U. of Penn
jod () ccat sas upenn edu