Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Hell of a way to run a railroad

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 12:13:23 -0400

I have long been a defender of Amtrak but they sure make it hard to
continue. I took the train today from New Carleton Station in Dc to
Wilmington. Right on time out of NC and then they crept (I could have ran
faster) to Baltimore. Why -- they scheduled it behind a MARC local train!
Why -- no one knew. Got to Baltimore 20 minutes late and there we sat while
the on time metroliner arrived, loaded and departed. Then we left 25
minutes late.

Explanation -- you got to be kidding. No announcement . I asked the
conductor and he shrugged and seemed to say "what can you expect".

Maybe Amtrak is really beyond saving, They have gotten as bad as US Air.

Dave