Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Vannevar Bush

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 06:58:26 -0500

From: observer () westnet com

I just finished "Endless Frontier", the biography of Vannevar Bush,
by G. Pascal Zachary and found it the most enjoyable biography that I
have ever read. I have always been very interested in Bush, because
of the "As We May Think" article and his involvement with both early
computers and the Manhattan Project but I approached the book with
some trepedation as I have never had a very high opinion of Zachary's
reporting (I covered the EFF kickoff at the National Press Club and
Zachary's Wall Street Journal article, entiled "Kapor launches Hacker
Defense Fund" bore little resemblance to what actually went on at the
announcement).

The book was excellent, well-documented and very well researched. It
is also extremely well-written. I leaned much about Bush that I
didn't know including his role in introducing radar as a submarine
detector in World War II and the fact that he was a founder of
Raytheon. While I expected to learn a lot about Bush, the book far
exceeded my expectations in all aspects.

In short, I can't say enough good things about the book and highly
recommend it.

"Photons have neither morals nor visas"  --  Dave Farber 1994