Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Hyperbole Fervor Distorts Serious Reporting and Discussion

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 07:11:45 -0500

Same disclaimer as I gave on Cooks original posting this is reacting to . =
 djf

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 01:23:46 -0800
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () brandenburg com>

Folks,

Hyperbole can be very exciting and even addicting, but it isn't news.=A0=A0=
=20

The considerable agitation in various postings of the last few days are
quite thrilling, but they aren't very nutritious. Facts are not based on
opinions or emotional outburts; they provide detail. For the notes I've
been criticizing, I've tried to quote specific phrases and in offer
specific responses, countering claims with facts.=20

What I notice most is that is being ignored, in favor of rhetoric,
hyperbole and ad hominem attacks. Why is that?

With respect to one supposedly significant posting, let's look at its
content...