Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: INET'98 Call for Papers

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 15:44:40 -0400

<excerpt>X-Sender: members () pop isoc org

Approved-By:  Internet Society <<members () ISOC ORG>

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS - INET'98

Papers, Panels, Tutorials & Poster Sessions

Deadline:  24 October 1997

INET'98 ~~~

THE INTERNET:  ENTERING THE MAINSTREAM

Internet Society's 8th Annual Networking Conference

21-24 July 1998

Palexpo Conference Center

Geneva, Switzerland

http://www.isoc.org

INET, the annual meeting of the Internet Society, is the premier

international event for Internet and internetworking professionals.

It is the crossroads at which the world's cyberspace pioneers meet

to exchange experiences and plan their next steps. Each year, network

technologists, industry and government representatives, and policy

experts meet to share information and shape the future of the Internet

and its related internetworking technologies.

In 1998, INET will address both the traditional and evolving frontiers

of the Internet as well as its significant impact on education,
commerce,

and societies throughout the world. Multiple conference tracks will

address critical issues ranging from network engineering to user needs,

from regulatory issues to the Internet's role as a conduit for social

change, and from the transformation of education to the redefinition

of commerce.

The INET'98 Program Committee solicits abstracts of papers and

suggestions for panels, tutorials and poster sessions which describe

innovative developments, encourage vigorous discussion and further

the understanding of the Internet's frontiers.

CONFERENCE ~~~~~~~~~~

     INET'98:  21-24 July 1998

     Exhibition Hall Open:  22-24 July 1998

PRE-CONFERENCE EVENTS ~~~~~~~~~~

     Network Training Workshop:  12-19 July 1998

                (France, Latin America and Switzerland)

     Technical Tutorials:  20-21 July 1998

     K-12 (Primary & Secondary) Workshop:  21 July 1998

     African Networking Symposium:  21 July 1998

KEY SUBMISSION DATES ~~~~~~~~~~

~~ Deadline to submit Abstract, Tutorial, Panel and Poster Session

proposals for Program Committee review.

~~ Authors notified of accepted Abstracts and invited to submit full
Papers.

~~ Presenters notified of accepted Tutorials, Panels and Poster
Sessions.

~~ Deadline to submit full Papers for Program Committee review.

~~ Authors notified of accepted Papers.

~~ Deadline to submit final copy of Paper for inclusion in the INET'98

Proceedings.

20-21 July 1998

~~ Technical Tutorials

21-24 July 1998

~~ INET'98 Conference

TOPIC SCOPE ~~~~~~~~~~

The following list is indicative of the scope of the conference.  It
should

not be interpreted as limiting submissions:

New Applications

        ~~Push Technologies

        ~~Caching and Replication

        ~~Digital Libraries

Social, Legal and Regulatory Policies

        ~~Security and Cryptography

        ~~Regulation

        ~~Legal

        ~~Governance

Commerce

        ~~New Industries and Services

        ~~Electronic Commerce

        ~~ISPs

        ~~Electronic Publishing

Teaching and Learning

        ~~Curriculum Innovations

        ~~Network Learning

        ~~Collaboration

        ~~Teacher Empowerment

Globalisation and Regional Implications

               ~~Internationalisation

        ~~Multilingual

        ~~Community Networking

        ~~Development

Network Technology and Engineering

                ~~High Speed Networks / High Speed Applications

        ~~International Infrastructure

        ~~Wireless Technologies

        ~~Hardware and Software

        ~~Nomadic Computing

        ~~Collaboration

        ~~ATM

        ~~Satellite-Based Networking

User-Centered Issues

        ~~Multimedia

        ~~Access

        ~~Disabilities

TRACK DESCRIPTIONS ~~~~~~~~~~

TRACK 1: New Applications

The exponential growth of the Internet involves not only computers,
domain

names, addresses and packets, but also content and people. The
Applications

Technologies track focuses on innovation that taps this growing wealth
of

information and people, including mechanisms for finding and accessing

information and collaborative environments. In addition, this track
covers

technologies just below the user interface that are equally important:

caching and prefetch technologies to improve access to information, and

security technologies to support interactions such as contract signing
and

Internet commerce.

TRACK 2:  Social, Legal, Governance, and Regulatory Policies

As the Internet keeps evolving and covering new territory, new forms of

communication emerge and new social groupings appear.  Sometimes these

changes reinforce the old, sometimes weaken it or even threaten it.
Weaving

new human communities is a tricky business. Cultures, legal systems and

institutions must find new compromises and mesh in new ways.  What are
the

possible long-run governance structures for the Internet, and what are
the

implications of adopting them?

TRACK 3: Commerce

The promises of commerce on the Internet have come nearly as fast as
new

commercial sites. Yet many organizations are struggling to come to
grips

with the realities of the Internet for their business. What are these

realities? Share the experience of successful projects, see how
traditional

forms of electronic commerce are adapting to the Internet and listen to

experts argue the benefits and pitfalls of commerce on the Net.

TRACK 4: Teaching and Learning

The Internet evolved from computer science research projects to connect

disparate and decentralized computer systems.  Is this the same
technology

that is the hottest thing to  happen in education in years?  Once the

private laboratory of university and post-secondary education, the
Internet

is now firmly entrenched in primary and secondary schools around the
world.

This track will look at what is happening on the Net today in support
of

primary, secondary and post-secondary education. Papers will cover
current

research in educational technology, case studies from the classroom,

examples of collaborative learning and thought-provoking discussions on

what effect the Internet will have on how we teach and learn.

TRACK 5:  Globalisation and Regional Implications

Every day, the Internet is expanding to new parts of the world, to new

groups of population, and to new, sometimes unanticipated, areas of
usage.

How far has the Internet gone on the road to true globalisation? What

obstacles remain to its expansion in developing countries and to less

advanced regions of the globe? What challenges should be expected in
the

future by those who, like ISOC, want to "take the Internet where it has

never been before"? This track will address these questions, looking at
the

political, legal, cultural and economic aspects of the issues raised,
while

giving a central importance to the respective experiences of users and

promoters of the Internet in all regions of the world.

TRACK 6:  Network Technology and Engineering

The physical and administrative infrastructures of the Internet are
being

subjected to many stresses created by the explosion in the number of
users

and the demands of many new and exciting applications being developed.
New

support technologies are required in many areas to counter these
stresses.

This track will present a range of developments designed to make the

network more reliable, more predictable, more scaleable and more
manageable

in the immediate future.

TRACK 7: User-Centered Issues

Frontiers don't exist just at the cutting edge of technology or in the

remote regions of the world. Today, nearly everyone is an Internet user
and

many are responding to the challenge in unique and valuable ways to put

this new tool to use. This track will examine contributions from a range
of

users, what they are doing and the impact the Internet has had on their

daily lives.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES ~~~~~~~~~~

Register your interest in contributing to the INET'98 program by

subscribing to the INET'98 Authors and Presenters Contact List.  Send
the

command "SUBSCRIBE INET98-PRESENTERS" in a one-line email message to:

<<listserv () listserv isoc org>.   You will receive an immediate

acknowledgment of your subscription and periodic updates from the
INET'98

Program Committee.

I.  PAPERS AND PANEL SUBMISSIONS

~ To view a sample Abstract, visit the Web-site

<<www.isoc.org/inet98/presenters>.

~ An Abstract should provide the following:

a.  Motivate/define the problem addressed (1-2 sentences)

b.  Outline the results obtained or expected (1-2 sentences)

c.  Explain why the work/results are significant (1-2 sentences)

d.  Describe the work sufficiently for the Program Committee reviewer

have confidence that it was done well and that the result will be of

interest to conference attendees (half to one page)

~ The official language of the conference is English.  All abstracts
must

be submitted in English.

~ Abstracts of papers and proposals for panels should be submitted in

plain ASCII by

24 October 1997 to:  inet-abstracts () isoc org.  (No attachments will be

reviewed by the Program Committee).

~ The following must be at the beginning of every abstract or proposal:

a)  A title (paper) or topic (panel).

b)  First and surname/family name(s) of all authors/presenters.

Note: Please CAPITALIZE each surname/family name.

c)  Organisational affiliation(s).

d)  Full mailing address(es), telephone and fax number(s) for each

author/presenter.

e)  E-mail address(es) for each author/presenter.  Note: All
correspondence

is via e-mail.  It is imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and
that

ISOC be informed of any changes to e-mail addresses.

f)  Identify a single point of contact if more than one author is
listed.

~ Each abstract or proposal should be between one and two pages long

(approximately 250 words) and contain a list of key words or topics.
An

abstract should be a brief summary of a paper and should not be divided

into subsections or include tables, footnotes, or reference lists.

Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment is
not

received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at

inet-program-chair () isoc org.

~ The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product

advertising.  Papers should be directed at substantive issues and not
focus

upon marketing or sales issues.

~ Each panel proposal should indicate and justify the theme of the

proposed session and include the names (with full presenter information)
of

suggested panelists.

~ Accepted abstract submissions will be invited to contribute full
papers.

Final selection will be based on full papers.

II.  TECHNICAL TUTORIAL SUBMISSIONS

The Internet Society is pleased to invite submissions for Technical

Tutorials, which precede the INET'98 Conference, 20-21 July 1998.

~ Tutorials are three hours (1/2 day) or six hours (full-day) in
length.

~ All tutorials must be presented in English.

~ Tutorial proposals should be submitted in plain ASCII by 24 October
1997

to:  inet-abstracts () isoc org.

~ Each tutorial proposal must contain the following information:

a)  A topic or tutorial title.

b)  A 100-word description of the proposed tutorial, including three
(3)

learning objectives, three (3) learning outcomes, and a brief lesson
plan.

c)  An indication that it is a tutorial proposal and the proposed length
of

the tutorial (1/2 day or full-day).

d)  Presentation titles, locations, and dates of previous

seminars/tutorials/presentations the presenter/s have made on topics

related to the proposed tutorial.

e)  First and surname/family name(s) of all presenters.  Note: Please

CAPITALIZE each surname/family name.

f)  Organisational affiliation(s).

g)  Full mailing address(es), telephone and fax number(s) of all
presenters.

h)  E-mail address(es).  Note: All correspondence is via e-mail.  It is

imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and that ISOC be informed
of

any changes to e-mail addresses.

i)  Identify a single point of contact if more than one presenter is
listed.

~ Each tutorial proposal should be no more than two pages in length.

Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment is
not

received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at

inet-program-chair () isoc org.

~ The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product

advertising.  Tutorials should be directed at substantive issues and
not

focus upon marketing or sales issues.

III.  POSTER SESSIONS SUBMISSIONS

The Internet Society is pleased to invite submissions for Poster
Sessions,

which will be held during the INET'98 Conference, 22-24 July 1998.

~ Posters will be on display throughout the conference, with a number
of

speaker opportunities for the poster session presenter.

~ Proposals should be submitted in plain ASCII by 24 October 1997 to:

inet-abstracts () isoc org.

~ Each poster session proposal must contain the following information:

a)  A topic or poster session title.

b)  A 50-word description of the proposed session, including two (2)

learning objectives.

c)  An indication that it is a poster session proposal.

d)  First and surname/family name(s).  Note: Please CAPITALIZE each

surname/family name..

e)  Organisational affiliation.

f)  Full mailing address, telephone and fax number.

g)  E-mail address.  Note: All correspondence is via e-mail.  It is

imperative that e-mail addresses are viable and that ISOC be informed
of

any changes to e-mail addresses.

~ Submissions will be acknowledged within 72 hours.  If acknowledgment
is

not received within this timeframe, contact ISOC immediately at

inet-program-chair () isoc org.

~ The Exhibition Hall will provide the exclusive medium for product

advertising.  Poster Sessions should be directed at substantive issues
and

not focus upon marketing or sales issues.

REGISTRATION FEES ~~~~~~~~~~

Chosen presenters of papers, panels and poster sessions will be
admitted

into INET'98 at the ISOC member/early conference fee, although a
limited

amount of partial support may be available to assist presenters,
generally

from developing countries.  Tutorials instructors will receive a
stipend.

Expenses such as travel, hotel, and meals are borne by presenters.

GENERAL INFORMATION ~~~~~~~~~~

INET'98

The Internet Society

12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210

Reston, VA  20191-3429  USA

Telephone:      +1 703 648 9888

Fax:            +1 703 648 9887

Email:          inet98 () isoc org

PROGRAM INFORMATION ~~~~~~~~~~

Email:          inet-program-chair () isoc org

We would appreciate if you would forward this announcement to your

interested colleagues and within your own networks.

Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
message.

Best Regards,

Beth Bercaw

Internet Society Membership

members () isoc org

The Internet Society

12020 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 210     Reston, Virgina  20191-3429
USA

voice 703.648.9888      fax 703.648.9887

http://www.isoc.org

</excerpt><<<<<<<<