Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: British Prisoners to Fix Y2K Problem -- edupage <- risks

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:05:13 -0500

Now a trojan horse here and a trap door there, HMMM djf

Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 11:52:14 -0500
From: Winn () infowar com

Is it just me, or do I smell a RISK here? Winn Schwartau

ICL is considering using computer-qualified British prison inmates to fix
computers susceptible to the Y2K problem. The CEO of Greenwich MeanTime
suggested that by 1999, ``using prisoners will seem like a good idea and even
using spotty 14-year-olds will seem reasonable.'' The head of an IT worker's
union called this inappropriate at a time when ICL is already seeking to
reduce
its workforce. [ICL Looks To Prisoners To Tackle Year 2000 Problem, Andrew
Craig, TechWeb 8 Jan 1998, PGN Stark Abstracting] Winn Schwartau
<Winn () infowar com> V: 813.393.6600

http://www.infowar.com