Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: HISTORY & CRYPTOGRAPHY

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:50:38 -0400

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 98 14:40:03 PDT
From: "Willis H. Ware" <willis () rand org>

--------
Folder: YES
--------

Because of a chance mailing on a crypto mailing list [UKCRYPTO] that I
follow, I rounded up several history and crypto web-sites that might
interest you.

    1. http://www.gb50mki.org/

To celebrate the 50th of the Manchester Mark 1.  The site is full of
events, pointers to other historical URLs including a simulator of the Baby
Mark 1 (which corresponded to our Johnniac Junior).  A fascinating site to
prowl. RAND and Johnniac are not mentioned, but the von Neumann work at
Princeton is and so is the Williams-Killburn electrostatic store.  Includes
a brief history up through the early 50s.

    I must say that the Brits are going all out to make the most of their
early computer work; it's impressive.  No such action from the ACM or
IEEE/CS or FOCUS.

    2. http://BletchleyPark () Cranfield ac uk

Bletchley Park was the site of the Enigma work during WW-1, where the Bombe
and the Collosus were built and operated.

    3. http://www.attlabs.att.co.uk/andyc/enigma/enigma_j.html

A graphical-interfaced simulator of the Enigma machine.  Very nicely done
in Java.

    4. http://www.und.nodak.edu/org/crypto/crypto/

Home site of the American Cryptogram Association.  Also contains several
simulators of various things.

    5. ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/

The Oxford University [UK] crypto archive.  Lots of stuff of all kinds
including contemporary crypto implementations of current algorithms.

    6. http://members.aol.com/nbrass/enigma.htm

The Nautical Brass magazine site; some stuff about Enigma including a
simulator.

Bibliography at:

       http://members.aol.com/nbrass/biblio.htm

    7. ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/pub/virus/crypt/enigma/simulators

The University of Hamburg [Germany] crypto archive with all sorts of things,
including simulators.

Many of these sites have links to one another, so it's handy to navigate
around.