Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: The Whole Earth [[ VP Gore, Earth, & VRML

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:31:11 -0500

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:28:59 -0800
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Stewart Brand <sb () gbn org>

At 4:10 PM -0500 3/13/98, Dave Farber wrote:
Thanks to Neal Stephenson for the inspiration, ART+COM for proving it could
be done, and Lou Stern for asking me if it can update itself automatically.
(It does, every 60 minutes.)" Independent inventions happen, spokesmen may
not know where their boss got a good idea, and it is nice to have a VP who
likes most computer tech except encryption.  Still, I wonder whose
inspiration this was, especially given the feds' new found fanaticism on
intellectual property.  Maybe credit ought to go where it's due?

I pushed for the color photo of Earth before its existence, back in January
of 1966---my first media event.  Hence the "Whole Earth" catalogs, etc.  I
wrote somewhere about live satellite imagery probably in early 70s.

Years along, I learned that FRED HOYLE said that photographs of the earth
from space would change humanity---he wrote that in...   1947.

Hats off to Gore.  Ideas are easy.  Doing it takes doing it.