Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: A suggestion for the new IANA

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:13:37 -0400

From: Paul Sinasohn <psinasohn () siebel com>
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: A suggestion for the new IANA
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:49:03 -0700

You can send this out, if you feel like it.... :-)

FYI - In the non-profit world, those are called VALUES and they underlie and
support a MISSION STATEMENT. The mission statement should be part of your
bylaws, and should be only 2 (or at most 3) sentences long. The values are
NOT part of the bylaws.

Example: At Westwind International Folk Ensemble, where I'm treasurer, we
have a mission:

Westwind International Folk Ensemble fosters appreciation for the rich
legacy of ethnic arts from around the world and within our own
multicultural
society.  By educating and entertaining diverse audiences through dance,
music, song, and story, we convey the essential spirit of the cultures
portrayed and enhance understanding of the human family.

AND a set of values:

In accordance with its mission, Westwind embraces the following
organizational values:

1.     Preservation of folk traditions, while recognizing their evolving
nature.
2.     Appreciation for the variety and richness of folk cultures,
believing that this increases empathy and understanding for people with
backgrounds different from our own.
3.     Access to its programs for people of limited physical and financial
means.
4.     Artistic excellence in all endeavors.
5.     Artistic inspiration from all parts of the world.
6.Ongoing collaboration with ethnic communities.

While Westwind isn't in the same league or business as IANA, you should
think hard about these values

Thank you for your time and attention.
Paul Sinasohn
Technical Writer, Siebel Systems, Emeryville Campus
(510) 594-6153  psinasohn AT siebel DOT com
There's a fine line between a groove and a rut - where are you running?