Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: More on Jupiter "laptops"

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:51:48 -0400

Sender: "Andy Seybold" <Aseybold () outlook com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave-
        The Vadem is one of the first of the Jupiter class Windows CE products to
hit the market. HP also has one out, it has an 8.5" screen and looks more
like a traditional notebook. The Sharp unit, also announced on the 8th of
October is the Vadem unit although I think that the software on the Vadem
(utilities etc) are better.
Expect to see:
        IBM, Compaq, Philips, Fujitsu, LG, and many others enter this space over
the course of he next six months. This is a HOT area. The devices are PC
Companions, great email machines, and all will cost sub $1000.
Look for screen sizes from 8.2 to 10.5 inches, keyboards from 85% to full
size, weights from 2+ pounds to 3 pounds, DSTN and TFT screens, built in
modems, 16 to 32 MB of RAM and ROM sizes from 8 to 24 MB depending upon the
software included. Battery life from 8 to 16 hours, instant on, instant off.

Microsoft is calling these machines HPC Pros, but that is not a good name
for them. I believe that for all of us who have carried and cursed the
typical notebooks for years and know what we need on the road: email, word
processing, spreadsheet, Outlook, and PowerPoint viewing, these machines
will sell well. My guess is that they will account for 20% of the notebook
market within the next year or so.

Andy