Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: EFF Search

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 12:04:46 -0500

Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:52:21 -0500
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Barry Steinhardt <Barrys () eff org>
Subject: EFF Search

Dave,

Can you send the attached job announcement for Executive Director of EFF to the
IP list.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at EFF, which is made up of so many fine,
dedicated people like yourself.  But, as you know, I have regretfully concluded
that my family's situation rules out a move from New York to San Francisco and
even prevents me from travelling to the West Coast frequently enough to
effectively direct an organization based in the Bay Area.

Indeed, I find myself a full fledged member of the "sandwich generation" with
older parents and young children, both of whom have developed unexpected needs
in the last few months. These unforseen developments have forced me to
significantly curtail my travel schedule and, unfortunately, even on the
Electronic Frontier, there is no substitute for human contact.

I will be returning to the ACLU as Associate Director and Chair of the
Cyberliberties Task Force by year-end. EFF and ACLU have frequently worked
together and I am pleased that the two organizations have agreed to strengthen
that bond with a number of cooperative projects.

I expect to remain active with EFF in a new capacity and I have accepted Lori
Fena's request that I serve on the Search Committee and work with our search
firm Isaacson, Miller.

Thanks for spreading the word about the position.

An Invitation to Apply

Executive Director
Electronic Frontier Foundation
San Francisco, California

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a non-profit, non-partisan
organization founded in July, 1990 to protect and promote the basic civil
liberties of the users of on-line and emerging technologies.  As the global
community has expanded, EFF has helped to shape the electronic frontier,
setting the standard for protection of the free exchange of ideas, one of the
building blocks of our society.

After splitting his time between New York and San Francisco, current Executive
Director Barry Steinhardt is stepping down for family reasons to return to his
position of Associate Director of the American Civil Liberties Union. The next
Executive Director is expected to expand EFF’s membership and global presence,
heighten elected officials’ appreciation and understanding of Internet civil
liberties, strengthen the organization’s infrastructure, and create strategic
alliances with individuals, corporations, and civil liberties advocates around
the world.

The ideal candidate will combine a deep and abiding commitment to the
protection of individual rights with a record of accomplishment in the area of
civil liberties and public policy issues surrounding the Global Internet and
other emerging technologies. In addition, s/he will have demonstrated
successful experience in managing non-profit, membership organizations, and
current, active connections within the high technology community.

Inquiries, nominations and resumes may be sent in confidence to:

Laura Gassner Otting or F. Jay Hall
Isaacson, Miller
334 Boylston Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02116-3805
Tel: (617) 262-6500, 140 or 142; Fax: (617) 262-6509
E-mail: lotting () imsearch com or jay () execsearches com
www.execsearches.com