Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IP for IP

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 19:27:21 -0700

I agree, it is a very well written article and a must read djf

Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 19:17:44 -0400
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "Lance J. Hoffman" <hoffman () seas gwu edu>

Dave,
        One of the best descriptions of the controversy over protection of
intellectual property on the Net (and in other electronic places) is in
September's Atlantic Monthly.  The article, "Who Will Own Your Next Good
Idea?" by Charles C. Mann, also appears on the Web at
<http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98sep/copy.htm>.  I think that many
IP-readers might want to read it.  It is certainly the best written
description I've seen of this.
        In addition to citing numerous experts and commentators of various stripes
(alive, Dead, and dead) including (just to name a few) Stewart Brand,
Esther Dyson, John Perry Barlow, Jack Valenti, James Brown, Richard
Stallman, Daniel Defoe, Thomas Jefferson, Pamela Samuelson, Hal Varian,
Claude Shannon, and James Boyle, the article has hotlinks from a number of
sidebars that lead to items like Vannever Bush's classic "As We May Think",
online tutorials and classes on the topic, and a number of
interesting-sounding articles I had missed (e.g., "Ex Libris: the joys of
curling up with a good digital reading device" (by Steve Silberman, Wired,
July 1998)).
        I thought you might want to share this with other IP-ers.

Lance
Lance J. Hoffman, Director, Cyberspace Policy Institute
and Professor, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The
George Washington University, Washington DC 20052.  Phone (202) 994-5513
Fax (202) 994-5505.  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/seas/institutes/cpi/