Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics Invention System Now Shipping]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 08:50:10 -0400

Sender: rberger () ibd com
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 03:19:33 +0000
From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>

I think the fact that there is such pre-demand is interesting!

--
Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development
14510 Big Basin Way #253  Saratoga, CA 95070

From: LEGO MINDSTORMS News <notify () legomindstorms com>
To: General.Release () mail legomindstorms com

Retailers Brace for Overwhelming Consumer Demand for
LEGO(reg) MINDSTORMS(tm) Robotics Invention System(tm)

The very first units of the LEGO MINDSTORMS Robotics Invention System
arrived on U.S. retail store shelves in limited quantities during the first
week of September. Since the Robotics Invention System previewed at the
American International Toy Fair, the Nurnberg International Toy Fair, and
the British International Toy & Hobby Fair last February, the buzz over the
first consumer robotics product that can actually react to its environment
has been gaining more momentum than even the LEGO Company expected.

To date LEGO MINDSTORMS has received over 100,000 inquiries about its new
Robotics Invention System, half of those from enthusiastic LEGO fans who
registered online for a chance to be one of only 200 product beta testers.
With just 12,000 units made available for the initial shipment, and only
75,000 additional units to be shipped through the end of the year, LEGO
MINDSTORMS is anticipating a run on the Robotics Invention System that will
quickly empty store shelves. It is expected to be one of the hottest
products of the holiday buying season.

"LEGO MINDSTORMS has packaged high-tech, creativity and fun into a new form
that represents a whole new direction for toys," commented Terri Bartlett,
Communications Director for Toy Manufacturers of America, Inc., the
industry association. "I don't expect to see any LEGO MINDSTORMS sets left
on retail shelves after the holidays."

"The clamor for our new LEGO MINDSTORMS robots is far beyond even our
expectations. Thousands of LEGO lovers of all ages have sent us requests to
be the first to own the Robotics Invention System. We are already
redoubling our efforts to produce enough product to handle the demand,"
added Linda Dalton, Director, LEGO MINDSTORMS.

PRODUCT AVAILABILITY:

In 1998, LEGO MINDSTORMS will be available for sale in the United States,
Canada, and the United Kingdom.

United States: LEGO MINDSTORMS will be available on or before October 1 at
the following retail stores: select Discovery Channel Stores, FAO Schwarz,
Fry's, Learningsmith, LEGO Imagination Centers (at Mall of America and
Downtown Disney), Media Play, select Noodle Kidoodle, select Target (from
November 1), Toys "R" Us, and Zany Brainy.  Some stores have reported that
they are already sold out of initial inventories.

It is also available in the following catalogs: TigerDirect, Hammacher
Schlemmer, FAO Schwarz, and The Robot Store Catalog.  LEGO MINDSTORMS can
also be purchased through LEGO Shop at Home at (800) 453-4652 and (800)
835-4386.

Canada: In Canada, LEGO MINDSTORMS will be available at Toys "R" Us and
through the Sears catalog. Product should be available at retail by October
6.

United Kingdom: To find out more about your local UK stockist, please call
our UK information line on 0845 606 2043.

Other English-speaking Countries: In 1999 the English versions of LEGO
MINDSTORMS products will be launched in the following countries: Australia,
Hong Kong, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, and Taiwan.

Other language versions: In late 1999 we hope to launch localized versions
in the following languages: German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch,
Swedish, Danish, Finnish and Norwegian.

Internet Sales: We are working on providing Internet sales.  Further
details to come.

Thank you for your interest.

The LEGO MINDSTORMS team