Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Abuse of power?: Massachusetts Police and D.A. prosecute for recording of traffic stop

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:20:21 -0400

Did not someone in that area once say -- give me liberty or. Maybe the NYC folks have it right about some police.

Dave

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

[the URL for this was inadvertently left out... it is:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/107/metro/Motorist_s_tape_of_traffic_stop_lands_him_in_court+.shtml
]
I thought I lived in a state that took the rights of citizens against abuse of police power seriously.  In the
following Boston Globe story, though, it appears that some police and D.A.'s will twist the laws as necessary to make
sure that police actions are "private" and hidden from public scrutiny.

David Brin - where are you when we need you?

From the Boston Globe Online today:
Motorist's tape of traffic stop lands him in court
Wiretap charge in bid for misconduct
(By Hermione Malone, Globe Correspondent)
On Oct. 26, 1998, Michael Hyde got a familiar feeling. Driving his Porsche on Route 123 in Abington, he noticed a
police officer looking at him from the entrance of a convenience store.